Seeing the need for a good Baptist church in the south suburbs of greater Denver, a small group of people voted to form present day First Baptist Church of Englewood in June of 1911. The church congregation and ministries continued to grow, and First Baptist Church of Englewood built the “Tabernacle” under the leadership of Dr. Harvey Springer. Known as a fiery cowboy evangelist before accepting the pastorate at First Baptist in 1936, Dr. Springer remained as pastor until his death in 1966. That first sanctuary was constructed on the lot where the current-day parking lot now resides. Sawdust floors and coal burning stoves were the norm at that time, but God continued to bless the ministry of First Baptist Church of Englewood with additional buildings, a radio broadcast, and other educational ministries.
In 1946, First Baptist Church of Englewood, CO, followed God’s direction and formed Silver State Baptist Youth Camp. Over the decades, God has used Silver State to powerfully impact thousands of teenage and adult lives for His glory.
The camp continues to operate on the original 160 acres in Jarre Canyon just eight miles west of Sedalia, CO.
Over the decades, some of America’s greatest Baptist preachers have stood in the pulpit of First Baptist Church of Englewood, and without apology, it has been known for standing upon the truths of God’s Word.
Today, under the leadership of Pastor Clifton Mizer, proclaiming that old-fashioned Gospel and meeting the spiritual needs of the community remain the cornerstone of our church.
We welcome you to visit First Baptist Church...a place to call home!